A Ninth Grader Suffers From An Alcohol Overdose

  • Sharebar

Jeffrey was a high school freshman who frequently seemed to be living on the edge. Jeffrey had a daring personality and typically wanted to do what his older brothers were doing to have fun. The central glitch with this was that all three of his brothers were at least 21 years old and were for than reason able from a legal perspective to operate a car and to drink alcohol.

Jeffrey, then again, had a tough time realizing the fact that as a fifteen-year-old young person he should not be drinking alcoholic beverages. In fact, nevertheless, Jeffrey generally drank with his high school friends after school, predominantly on the weekends.

One weekend, Jeffrey was invited to drive around with some of his older friends. One of his friends was old enough to buy alcohol. After buying some wine, beer, and wine coolers, Jeffrey and all of his buddies went to a recreational area and drank for something like two or three hours.

Jeffrey Passes Out

After drinking something like ten bottles of beer, Jeffrey started to feel nauseous and then vomited. When he passed out on the tennis court, one of his friends called 911 for immediate medical assistance. It was fortunate that the call for medical assistance was made because when his friends went to the hospital to see Jeffrey, they were informed that Jeffrey had been suffering from alcohol poisoning symptoms. More to the point, Jeffrey had experienced an alcohol overdose.

When Your Pals Drink Too Much

Jeffrey had heard that drinking heavily can result in alcohol poisoning but he never thought that this could happen to him. After all, some of his friends over and over again boasted that they could drink twenty or more cans of beer in a couple of hours without feeling any serious problems.

Armed with this information, Jeffrey was frankly astonished to gather that he had overdosed on alcohol because he “only” had approximately ten drinks. When he explained this to the attending healthcare practitioner at the hospital, on the other hand, the doctor told Jeffrey that drinking ten cans of beer over a two or three hour period of time could certainly be significantly more alcohol than can be metabolized by the body. The healthcare professional further articulated how excessive alcohol can cause the brain to shut down an individual’s breathing and that when this occurs, an individual can die.

The First Signal of Excessive Drinking

This was the first word of warning to Jeffrey that he was drinking in a risky fashion and that there are ramifications for such deeds. The healthcare professional told Jeffrey that he was a lucky person because he almost perished from an alcohol overdose the night before.

The doctor also talked to Jeffrey’s parents and suggested that they get alcohol therapy for Jeffrey. His parents were thrilled that Jeffrey was safe and notified the healthcare professional that they would look into getting Jeffrey alcohol rehab.

While talking to his parents, Jeffrey informed them that there must be a solid reason why he did not pass away and that he felt grateful that he was still alive. He also notified his parents that the odd part about the entire drinking episode was that he had learned about alcohol poisoning the last six week grading period in health class.

When Listening in Class Can Affect Your Life

At the time, what his health teacher, Mr. Franklin, was teaching didn’t seem to make a lot of sense to Jeffrey. Now that he almost passed away, then again, he felt that he should have listened more alertly in health class and applied what he had learned to his life.

Jeffrey informed his parents that he couldn’t wait to go back to Mr. Franklin’s classroom and make an apology to Mr. Franklin for not displaying more attention to something that was as significant as learning about alcohol abuse and how to avoid alcohol poisoning.

His parents smiled at Jeffrey and said that they were pleased with the way he was being accountable for his dangerous drinking behavior. All he had to do now was to let this near fatal experience affect his life in a positive manner so that he would never again suffer from a case of alcohol poisoning.

Recommended Reading

Digg This
Reddit This
Stumble Now!
Buzz This
Vote on DZone
Share on Facebook
Bookmark this on Delicious
Kick It on DotNetKicks.com
Shout it
Share on LinkedIn
Bookmark this on Technorati
Post on Twitter
Google Buzz (aka. Google Reader)

Leave a Reply

CommentLuv badge
This blog uses premium CommentLuv which allows you to put your keywords with your name if you have had 3 approved comments. Use your real name and then @ your keywords (maximum of 3)

Canonical URL by SEO No Duplicate WordPress Plugin