A High School Student Experiences An Alcohol Overdose

  • Sharebar

Jeffrey was a high school ninth grader who frequently seemed to be living on the edge. Jeffrey had an adventurous personality and frequently wanted to do what his older brothers were doing for fun. The underlying glitch with this was that all three of his brothers were at least 21 years old and were for than reason within their legal rights to operate a truck or car and to ingest alcohol.

Jeffrey, on the other hand, had a hard time comprehending the fact that as a fifteen-year-old young man he should not be drinking. In fact, in spite of this, Jeffrey usually drank with his cronies after school, predominantly on the weekends.

One weekend, Jeffrey made up his mind to drive around with some of his older pals. One of his guy friends was old enough to purchase alcohol. After purchasing some wine coolers, beer, and wine, Jeffrey and his friends went to a park and drank for approximately two or three hours.

Jeffrey Passes Out

After drinking something like ten wine coolers, Jeffrey started to feel queasy and then vomited. When he lost consciousness on the tennis court, one of his friends called 911 for immediate medical assistance. It was fortunate that the call for emergency assistance was made because when his friends went to the hospital to see Jeffrey, they were notified that Jeffrey had been manifesting alcohol poisoning symptoms. More specifically, Jeffrey had experienced a case of alcohol poisoning.

When Your Cronies Drink Abusively

Jeffrey had heard that drinking too much can lead to an alcohol overdose but he never thought that this could happen to him. After all, some of his friends time after time articulated that they could drink two or three six packs of beer in a couple of hours without experiencing any major problems.

Based on this, Jeffrey was truthfully shocked to realize that he had overdosed on alcohol because he “only” had around ten drinks. When he told this to the attending healthcare practitioner at the hospital, nevertheless, the doctor notified Jeffrey that drinking ten alcoholic beverages over a two or three hour time frame could in fact be quite a bit more alcohol than can be metabolized by the body. The physicain further conveyed how too much alcohol can cause the brain to shut down an individual’s breathing and that when this comes about, a person can perish.

The First Sign of Abusive Drinking

This was the first sign to Jeffrey that he was drinking in a hazardous way and that there are effects for such actions. The physicain told Jeffrey that he was a lucky individual because he almost died from an alcohol overdose the previous night.

The healthcare professional also spoke to Jeffrey’s parents and suggested that they get alcohol treatment for Jeffrey. His parents were jubilant that Jeffrey was safe and sound and informed the healthcare professional that they would get Jeffrey alcohol rehabilitation.

While conversing with his parents, Jeffrey told them that there must be a good reason why he did not expire and that he felt thankful that he was still alive. He also informed his parents that the peculiar part about the entire drinking occurrence was that he had learned about alcohol poisoning the past week in health class at school.

When Paying Attention in Class Can Make a Difference

At the time, what his health instructor, Mr. Franklin, was articulating didn’t seem to make a lot of sense to Jeffrey. Now that he almost died, in spite of this, he felt that he should have listened more carefully in health class and applied what he had learned to his personal life.

Jeffrey notified his parents that he couldn’t wait to go back to Mr. Franklin’s classroom and express regret to Mr. Franklin for not paying closer attention to a topic that was as relevant as learning about alcohol abuse and how to stay away from alcohol poisoning.

His parents smiled at Jeffrey and said that they were delighted with the way he was being responsible for his dangerous drinking actions. All he had to do now was to let this near fatal experience make an impact his life in a positive way so that he would never again go through an alcohol overdose.

Recommended Reading

Digg This
Reddit This
Stumble Now!
Buzz This
Vote on DZone
Share on Facebook
Bookmark this on Delicious
Kick It on DotNetKicks.com
Shout it
Share on LinkedIn
Bookmark this on Technorati
Post on Twitter
Google Buzz (aka. Google Reader)

Leave a Reply

CommentLuv badge
This blog uses premium CommentLuv which allows you to put your keywords with your name if you have had 3 approved comments. Use your real name and then @ your keywords (maximum of 3)

Canonical URL by SEO No Duplicate WordPress Plugin